Milo

Milo
Is that a smile I see before me?

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bad mum strikes again

Yet more bad news about being pregnant. New research reveals that 90% of mums-to-be are so whacked out by stress that it could be having an adverse effect on the little one.

The thing is, show me one woman who doesn’t worry during pregnancy and I’ll show you a woman who’s not up the duff. The second you manage to wrestle fears of miscarriage, nasty midwives and bad scans into submission, Panorama broadcasts a shock-horror-special on the crisis on our maternity wards. It's no bloody wonder we’re stressed.

For the record, honey, I’m scared witless. So far, my list of fears includes: childbirth; being a bad mother; becoming a fat mama; you not liking/loving me; being sidelined at work; never getting back the energy you seem to have sapped; backache; post-natal depression; pre-natal depression; oh-god-just-all-the-time depression; short-term memory loss; being skint; eating the wrong things; you being poorly, ill or even dying; and the fact that, once your Dad sees you emerging from the ‘business end’, things between us will never be the same again.

Watching the very realistic childbirth scene in Knocked Up last night didn’t help. I also noted that a) there was a higher than usual proportion of preggaz ladies at the cinema and b) most of us left the auditorium ashen-faced. Mind you, you seemed to like it, if the rigorous wriggling and belly kicking was anything to go by. I suspect this might have something to do with the cinema’s booming surround-sound system than a love of US romcoms, but who knows…

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I know this was a way back, so maybe the moment for comment has passed. But honestly, I think it's a conspiracy. I can't generalise, but giving birth really wasn't that bad and certainly nothing like anything on TV and when people now tell me (and they do) that women cannot mention their children at work for fear of being sidelined, I don't understand them because it isn't true for me. I was a bit depressed at first because it's tiring and you don't quite know what it is and whether you can do it, but it passed. And you will be a great mother. And not fat. And your baby will love you.